I started this article by researching through Maha Rishi Parashar’ s Brihat Parashar Hora Shastra. He is considered the father of Vedic astrology and his epic is the final arbiter of all astrological disputes. I found no mention of Kal Sarp Yog. Nowhere in this comprehensive work does he writes about it. So what is going on? To find out, please keep reading.
The information I was able to piece together on the web is given below.
1. Kaal Sarp Yog is formed when all the planets are situated between Rahu and Ketu.
2. Depending upon the placement of Rahu in 12 houses, 12 different kinds of Yog are formed.
3. These Yog are named after serpents from Hindu mythology.
4. This is the list. Anant Kal-Sarp Yoga, Kulik Kal-Sarp Yoga, Vasuki Kal Sarp Yoga, Padam Kal Sarp Yoga, Mahapadam Kal Sarp Yoga, Takshak Kal Sarp Yoga, Karkotak Kal Sarp Yoga, Shankhchud Kal Sarp Yoga, Ghatak Kal Sarp Yoga, Vishdhar Kal Sarp Yoga, Sheshnag Kal Sarp Yoga, Shankhpal Kal Sarp Yoga
5. Kal means death, and Sarp means serpent so Kal Sarp means death like agony.(I can’t figure out why)
6. If inauspicious planets like Mars and Saturn are placed on the opposite side of ‘Rahu’ and ‘Ketu’, then it is considered to be a partial Kal-Sarpa Yoga. Apparently this partial yoga is not as bad.
Its effects, I quote verbatim without changing even a comma. It is hilarious.
One gentleman says, ‘A person born under Kal Sarpa Yog passes through sufferings and agonies throughout the life. The Kal Sarpa Yog is formed when all the planets are situated between Rahu and Ketu. Kal Sarpa is of 288 types Few of them are Karkotak Kal Sarp Dosh, Ekdant. The effect of each one varies. Hence a detailed and thorough analysis is to be conducted to demarcate its effect.’
Another adds, ‘The native having Kal Sarp Yog suffers from mental unrest, hurdles in gain of wealth, barriers in having children and uninterrupted disputes in married life. Usually the native sees bad dreams and there is danger of sudden death. Different fears and worries persist.’
Here is another Gem
If rest seven planets come in between Rahu & Ketu then it is no good. The person who takes birth in Kal Sarp Yog suffers from various problems like child problems, loss in business, family problems etc. Rahu is known as snack and Ketu is its tail. All planets comes under the execs of Rahu & Ketu because of which Kal Sarp Yog is formed in horoscope.
This Kal Sarp Yog can be formed in any person's horoscope and those who have Kal Sarp Yog in their horoscope, inspite of having all kind of facilities they will always suffer from tension, fear, insecurity. Just like a person bitten by snake cannot sit comfortably similarly a person who has Kal Sarpa Yog in his horoscope always fear from death.
One savant even gives its duration
Rahu in 1st house: Kal Sarp Dosha effect lasts up to 27 years of age.
Rahu in 2nd house: Kal Sarp Dosha effect lasts up to 33 years of age.
Rahu in 3rd house: Kal Sarp Dosha effect lasts up to 36 years of age.
Rahu in 4th house: Kal Sarp Dosha effect lasts up to 42 years of age.
Rahu in 5th house: Kal Sarp Dosha effect lasts up to 48 years of age.
Rahu in 6th house: Kal Sarp Dosha effect lasts up to 54 years of age.
And here are some remedies for this Yoga
- One must perform Nag Dosh Nivaran Pooja so as to keep away from the malefic effect of Rahu. Feed ants and fishes.
- Wear Nag Yantra or Bhairon Yantra on your body.
- Observe fast on Nag-Panchmi day.
- Donate pulses to beggars on 43 Wednesdays.
- Chant Om Namaha Shivaye' 1,25,000 times, before Maha Shivaratri every year
- Apparently Kal Sarp Yog also makes women unable to have children, because one expert writes, 'For getting progeny, women are advised to circumambulate a Banyan tree daily 108 times, till 38000 rounds are completed.' That would take 352 days of non stop temple visits.
- One gentleman pitches for Special Kal Sarp Pooja Services at Mahakaleshwar Temple Ujjain. I quote verbatim “This special Kal Sarp Dosh Nivaran Puja is available with complete package,i.e. Puja at Mahakaleshwar Temple Ujjain,Kal Sarp Nivaran Yantra and silver Nag Nagin Jora for removal of this Dosh.Pl. send your request.”
- Here is another sales pitch. “Package for Special Kal Sarp Puja is available at Lodheshwar Mahadev (U.P) This special Kal Sarp Dosh Nivaran Puja is available with complete package,i.e. Puja at Lodheshwar Mahadev Temple near River Saryu at Barabanki Distt. of Uttar Pradesh. This is very old and famous Shiva Temple and also mentioned in Mahabharat. Kal Sarp Nivaran Yantra and silver Nag Nagin Jora for removal of this Dosh. This Puja is Videographed and Puja Prasadam is sent along with Puja VCD. Amount given below is all inclusive,i.e. Shipping etc. Pricing $200.00'
I am fascinated! All this brouhaha for a Yog which does not even exist in Maha Rishi Parashar’ s epic work Brihat Parashar Hora Shastra? Who becomes a victim of intentional fear mongering and who benefits from the expensive remedies. I leave you to make your own judgment.
Send your yeas and nays to
firstname.lastname@example.org also visit my website
Your feedback and suggestions about blog quality and blog topics are very welcome. This article is copy righted and can not be used in any form without the permission of the author Rajiv Sethi.